This coming May 9 and 10 Eastern Time, Thursday and Friday, a Solar Eclipse will occur. This is also known as the annular eclipse. But what makes this solar eclipse really cool is that while the moon is blocking the sun, it will create a “ring of fire” effect in daytime sky.
Image credit: SPACE.com / Charles Medendorp
During the annual Ring of Fire Solar Eclipse, 95% of the Sun will be covered by the moon at its peak. Yet they consider it as only partial eclipse. However this does not mean that there will be darkness, in fact the sky will not be noticeably darker at any point. The remaining 5% of the Sun’s light is going to be so bright that you will have to use a special protective filtered glass for the entire duration of the solar eclipse.
Why is it called “Ring of Fire” eclipse? This is because the moon is too far away from its orbit to totally cover the sun. Thus the moon only partially covers the Sun creating a ring effect.
Solar Eclipse in Philippines
Locally, if the weather will cooperate, we will see a partial eclipse on Friday, May 10. But most probably not all areas in the country will see it. As you can see from the illustration above, only a portion of the Philippines is covered by the solar eclipse’s path.
May 10 Solar Eclipse in Australia
The May 10 Solar Eclipse in Australia will begin the in the extreme northwest, in Western Australia. It will leave the Eclipse passing through the north of Cairns. At Tennant Creek the annularity will last for around 3 minutes and at the center line it will be around 4.5 minutes. It will leave Queensland with about 4-5 minutes of annularity.
If the weather will be cooperative, the rest of Australia will see a partial eclipse, except for the western third of Western Australia.
May 10 Solar Eclipse in Pacific
At the pacific, the eclipse will be visible in Papua New Guinea, Hula peninsula, and northwestern Solomon Islands. The peak will be at Tarawa islands for about 6 minutes.
When Will Be the Next Eclipse?
After the May 10 “ring of fire” solar eclipse, the next eclipse will happen on November 3, 2013 which will be visible in mid-northern Africa.
WARNING: Do not look at the eclipse/Sun using a telescope, camera or naked eye. It will cause severe damage to your eye. You need to use a special filter to safely view the Solar Eclipse.
- Arnold Clavio’s Unprofessional Interview to Atty Alfredo Villamor
- How to Pass the October 13, 2013 Philippine Civil Service Examinations
- Vin Diesel Spotted in Manila, What’s he doing here?
- Is Nancy Binay Ready to Debate with Senator Miriam Santiago?
- Philippine Elections 2013 Results – Check Out Who’s Winning
- Philippines FHM 100 Sexiest Women in the World 2013 (Unofficial Top 10)
- Solar Eclipse with Ring of Fire Effect to Happen This May 9 and 10
- Heart Evangelista Unedited Pictures Revealed!
- The Wolverine 2013 International Trailer Released
- Sunshine Cruz is FHM’s April 2013 Cover Girl
- rene millares on How to Pass the October 13, 2013 Philippine Civil Service Examinations
- riza loveriza on Philippine Civil Service Examination Schedule 2012
- Grace on Philippine Civil Service Examination Schedule 2013
- chadene rey landisa on Philippine Civil Service Examination Schedule 2013
- maria eleanor a. malit on Philippine Civil Service Examination Schedule 2013