After the black smoke emerges a white smoke, finally we have a new Pope from Argentina, Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio (76), and the first ever pope from the Americas and outside Europe. Bergoglio takes the name as Pope Francis I, as announced from the Vatican just recently.
Image credit: Peter Macdiarmid / Getty Images
It was Jean-Louis Tauran, a French cardinal, who announced the new pope from the balcony of St. Peter’s Basilica. Too bad it wasn’t Cardinal Luis Antonio “Chito” Tagle, who most of the Filipinos prayed would be the next pope.
“Habemus Papa“ a Latin phrase which means “We have a Pope” was said during the announcement. Bergoglio, according to reports, actually came second in the 2005 conclave that produced Benedict XVI.
The crowds went wild when the new pope was announced, and chants of “Long Live the Pope” could be heared across the Vatican. According to Ben Canete, a 32-year-old Filipino, “I can’t explain how happy I am right down,” as he jumps up and down.
You can watch the video of the announced of the new pope below.
- Arnold Clavio’s Unprofessional Interview to Atty Alfredo Villamor
- How to Pass the October 13, 2013 Philippine Civil Service Examinations
- Vin Diesel Spotted in Manila, What’s he doing here?
- Is Nancy Binay Ready to Debate with Senator Miriam Santiago?
- Philippine Elections 2013 Results – Check Out Who’s Winning
- Philippines FHM 100 Sexiest Women in the World 2013 (Unofficial Top 10)
- Solar Eclipse with Ring of Fire Effect to Happen This May 9 and 10
- Heart Evangelista Unedited Pictures Revealed!
- The Wolverine 2013 International Trailer Released
- Sunshine Cruz is FHM’s April 2013 Cover Girl
- rene millares on How to Pass the October 13, 2013 Philippine Civil Service Examinations
- riza loveriza on Philippine Civil Service Examination Schedule 2012
- Grace on Philippine Civil Service Examination Schedule 2013
- chadene rey landisa on Philippine Civil Service Examination Schedule 2013
- maria eleanor a. malit on Philippine Civil Service Examination Schedule 2013